Dominic J. Guzzetta was the fourth president of Marian College (now Marian University), from 1968 until 1971, and its first lay president. His education began at Alfred University, but was interrupted by World War II. Following his military service, he received a bachelor’s degree from the University of Buffalo, where he graduated cum laude in history and government. He then earned a master’s degree from Buffalo while teaching and in 1953, he received his doctorate. Before coming to Marian University, he worked as senior vice president, provost, and professor of education at the University of Akron.
During his three-year presidency, Marian College broke ground for and completed the Mother Theresa Hackelmeier Memorial Library and the president’s house on the south part of campus (later, this became the Music Building, which is now Steffen Music Center), in which he and his family lived during his tenure. He added new majors, created new faculty positions and established, through a foundation grant, a chair for Jewish studies. He continued to guide the growth of the Magnet alumni magazine, class reunions, clubs, and an annual alumni fund drive. He returned to the University of Akron as its president in 1971.
His complete obituary is available online.